Nepal Digital Payment Company (NDPC) plans to launch an offline payments solution “Namaste Pay”. It is Nepal’s first payment wallet service that works in both offline and online modes.
It is jointly funded by both Nepal Telecom and Rastriya Banijya Bank. Actually, it was set to launch alongside the Nagarik app on the occasion of National ICT Day 2021 but it has been delayed to Sep 14th, 2021.
It is the first government-run payment service provider (PSP). Among the 27 PSPs approved by Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Namaste Pay has the largest paid-up capital.
This payment system uses mobile numbers as a digital wallet. This payment service uses Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) channel in which users have to type USSD code for offline payment. For online users, you can pay through the mobile wallet app.
Namaste Pay Features
- You can pay with USSD code so no need of smartphones for transaction.
- All the government related works of bill payment will be easily done.
- Easily load their account without bank account at Nearby Namaste Agents.
- Tax fraud(corruption) will be minimized if all go digital.
How to register your mobile number for Namaste Pay?
Here is the step by step methods to register your mobile number
- Dial *500#, Press 1 to go further.
- Enter First name, Last name, Date of birth, Gender, ID type and number.
- Confirm the entered data.
- You will get a PIN code that you will need to access the payment service.
- Once you enter again from *500#, you will be asked to change the PIN code of your own.
How to use Namaste Pay service?
Once your mobile number is registered, you can use the Namaste Pay service online using the app and offline through USSD code. Here are the step-by-step methods of using Namaste Pay.
Namaste Pay: online
- Download and install mobile app (Namaste Pay) from app store.
- Enter your number and PIN code.
- For this first time, you may need to enter the OTP.
- Then you will login to the Namaste pay app.
Namaste Pay: offline
- Dial *500# and Enter the PIN code
- You will see info on your account, transfer money, recharge or load balance from the menu itself.
- You can transfer to another Namaste pay wallet.