The concept of digital wallet and digital payment in Nepal is peaking popularity. Khalti is a mobile or digital wallet, payment gateway & service provider in Nepal like e-sewa. Paypal, which is the faster and safer way to send money or to make an online payment, is not supported in Nepal. E-sewa first introduced an online payment service in Nepal but soon Khalti was launched in 2017 by Janaki Technology, which has been in the software product industry since 2010.
KHALTI DIGITAL WALLET
The digital wallet is an electronic device or online service where the user can make an electronic transaction. Digital Wallet can be considered as an environment-friendly medium for monetary services as it reduces the use of paper money. This saves a lot of money from a country like Nepal, for printing new paper money each year. It is completely new to Nepali people. And this might be a reason people are afraid of doing online payments through digital wallets in Nepal.
Even though Khalti is not the first medium of online payment gateway in Nepal, it has been gaining more popularity in recent days. Khalti was declared the global winner of Google Business Group Storytelling Contest 2017. It conducts the “Smart Chhori Campaign ” in Lalitpur supported by Spring Accelerator backed by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID), and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT). The main aim of conducting such a campaign is to make girls familiar with digital transactions and help them learn management skills, speaking skills, become financially independent. This campaign helps to bring the gender digital divide into Nepal.
- Top up: Ncell, NTC, Smart cell, UTL (Get up to 2% Cashback)
- DTH Recharge: NetTV, ClearTV, DishHome, Mero TV, SimTV (Get up to 2% Cashback)
- Internet Bill Payments: ADSL, ViaNet, Subisu, Worldlink, WebSuffer, Arrownet, itel, Classictech, Wen Network, estlink, TechMinds, VNet, RoyalNet, Hons (Get up to 3% Cashback)
- Pay landline bills: Nepal Telecom (Get up to 2% Cashback)
- Pay Electricity bills: Nepal Electricity Authority.
- Khanepane (Water supply) Bill (Rs 5 Cashback)
- Insurance Bill: Nepal Insurance, Surakshya insurance (Get up to 1% Cashback)
- Nepal Flight Ticket Booking: Buddha Air, Yeti Air, Shree Airlines, Surya Airlines, Simrik Airline (Cashback up to Rs 600)
- Movie Ticket Booking: QFX, Big Movies, Q’s Cinemas, Midtown Cinema, FCUBE Cinema, BSR Movies, City Cinemas, Central Multiplex. (Get up to 1% Cashback)
- Hotel Rooms Booking: OYO (Get up to 15% Cashback)
- Ride-Sharing: Tootle (Get up to 5% Cashback)
- Event Tickets: (Get up to 50% Cashback)
Payment Gateway in Nepal: Khalti
Since the digital wallet is a new way of the transaction, Khalti is a payment gateway, digital wallet, and API provider system for various online services for Nepal. Khalti allows you to pay bills, send money, and accept payments online instantly from anywhere in Nepal using your phone. Khalti has also got a license as a legal payment service provider of Nepal from Nepal Rastra Bank. Thus, it is a trusted payment service provider. It provides transparent, safe, and convenient transactions on just a single tap.